Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Raúl Gómez Jattin / The Adoring God

Raúl Gómez Jattin

THE ADORING GOD
By Raúl Gómez Jattin 
Translated from Spanish by Nicolás Suescún

I am a god in my town and my valley
not because they adore me    But because I adore myself
Because I bow before anyone who gives me
a few granadillas or offers me a smile
Or because I go where the harsh people live
to beg for a coin or a shirt and they give it to me
Because I watch the sky with the eyes of a hawk
and I name it in my verses   Because I am alone
Because I slept seven months in a hammock
and five on the sidewalks of a city
Because I look askance at riches
but not with hatred   Because I love those who love me
Because I know how to grow orange trees and vegetables
even under the noon sun  Because I have a godfather
and I baptized all of his children and blessed his marriage
Because I am not good in a known manner
Because I love birds and the rain washing my soul
in the open   Because I  was born in May
Because my mother abandoned me precisely
when I most needed her   Because when I am  sick
I go to the charity hospital   Because  above all
I respect only he who respects me The one that works
every day for a bitter lonely and disputed piece of bread
like these verses of mine stolen from death



No comments:

Post a Comment